Saturday, April 9, 2011

HELP WANTED!

My name is Barbara and I am obese.

I’ve had a weight problem since I was a child, and it continues to haunt me today.

When visiting family this past Christmas, I found it difficult to keep up with the little girls because my entire body ached to move. I felt like the Tin Man when he couldn’t move until his joints were oiled. My “aha” moment occurred when I realized that I don’t want to keep living this way. My paying job is stressful enough without adding physical trauma as a result of my weight, asthma and arthritis. In 2003 I had my right hip replaced and now my left hip is indicating that another hip prosthesis will be in my future. I do not want to go through that again!

So, in January, I began to control my eating habits. I belong to a weight-loss group known as T.O.P.S. (Take off Pounds Sensibly). http://www.tops.org/default.aspx  I served as leader of my local chapter for three years but was a poor example of how to lose weight. But now, I am ready to lose it. As of last week, I retired as leader, but still participate as the treasurer. I need to be at these meetings to weekly face the scale and to be held accountable to others in the group. I’ve lost 17 ½ pounds since January.

Yes, I’ve cut back on over-eating, but not doing well with exercise. I have a painful limp due to the problematic left hip and that has been my excuse. There is a swimming pool in my condo complex, but…it’s cold…I’m too busy, too tired… (Enter other excuses). Honestly? Lazy is probably the best excuse. It’s ironic that I’m committed to participate in a cancer walk on the 30th for a grade school mate with breast cancer. How in the world can I do two miles? I will make the effort for the cause.

My goal is to drop another 35 pounds by December 27th - the end of the T.O.P.S. year. If I can achieve my doctor-prescribed weight goal, I will participate in a “graduation ceremony” at the international T.O.P.S convention next summer in San Diego, so a real motivation to lose this year!


I am posting this because I need encouragement. Please be a cheerleader for me! Thanks.

4 comments:

  1. Cheering you on!! There are exercises you can do while sitting or laying down that won't stress your hip and will strengthen your muscles. I'll be praying for you and following your progress - you can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Barbara, I can certainly relate to this. I've been working hard at losing weight, also. It is a team effort. I'll cheer you on and you can cheer me on. Okay?

    I eat less and try to walk lots. That seems to be the key for me. Praying for you. You can do it! Sounds like you have wonderful motivation!!!! You CAN do it! Because we can do all things through CHRIST who gives us strength!!!

    LOVES!!
    Laury

    ReplyDelete
  3. I fight much the same battle Barbi, maybe we could be accountable to each other.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely cheering you on, Barb. You can DO it :) Praying, sweetie.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you!