Tuesday, June 7, 2011

CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES RAISE SELF-ESTEEM


C  is for COOKIE!
Come join the fun!
http://www.pattywysong.com/2011/05/2-z-4u-me.html


                            











Flour spilled over the sides of the mixing bowl as the scrawny girl blended the cookie batter; simultaneously popping a handful of chocolate chips into her mouth. With flair worthy of an Oscar, she dumped the remaining morsels into the mix and blended them to perfection.

It was the summer of 1993, and my ten year old niece was making chocolate chip cookies to enter into the Los Angeles County Fair. Stephanie had come to live with me just a few months previously, and since I had been entering baked goods for the last two years, I thought it would help her self-esteem to submit something too. Steph chose to make chocolate chip cookies, but decided that the basic recipe should use milk chocolate chips rather than the semi-sweet chips listed in the ingredients. She was right; made the cookies yummy!

The long wait between the times we submitted the baked goods till we could view the outcome seemed endless to Stephanie. Finally arriving to the large fairgrounds, we sped over to the kid’s exhibition hall and scanned the rows of baked goods. There were the delicious cookies-with a blue ribbon attached! That was one happy girl and auntie!

To this day, I've never told her that all the entries for kids received ribbons. But Stephanie did get first place with her cookies, and has been proud of that recipe ever since. As intended, Steph’s self-esteem was greatly lifted. As she grew up, she baked those prize-winning cookies for boyfriends and other special people in her life; boasting of the blue ribbon she received at the county fair.

Isn’t it wonderful that chocolate chip cookies are not only delicious, but they actually aid in raising self-worth!

Do I hear an AMEN?

9 comments:

  1. Oooooh yumz!! I wish I had some for breakfast!! LoL They make the best breakfast! =]

    Loved this story, Barb. What a treasure your Stephanie is!

    Hugs!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this Barb! First off, chocolate chip cookies are my favorite, second I love the way you wrote it. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a delightful story! Looove chocolate chip cookies! Fantastic "C" post, Barb!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. AMEN! Now you're making me hungry for chocolate chip cookies and there's not any in the house:( Boo:(

    You're a great Aunt. Awesome post, too! Except for making me crave chocolate, of course. But that doesn't take me to do. lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh love chocolate chip cookies. Once I figured out how to make them gluten free I've knew life was going to be okay.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We have a couple of cookie recipes passed down four generations now. So special to have that link with my great-grandmother. Awesome story about your niece!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sooo fun! Great story, dear Barb.

    Been to the LA County Fair several times - but NEVER entered ANY contests. Wish I had ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for your responses! Yes, Stephanie is a treasure but lives in another state :(

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cute! I must agree, my boys take great pride in their ability to bake an excellent batch of chocolate chip cookies.
    I heard somewhere this week that the chocolate chip cookie was invented during the Great Depression. If that's true, it's a wonderful example of good things coming out of bad!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you!