Tuesday, July 12, 2011

H is for HELP

http://www.pattywysong.com/2011/05/2-z-4u-me.html
Come join the fun!


Back in April of this year, I posted a blog about my attempt at weight loss and asked for help: http://msbarbiesblog.blogspot.com/2011/04/my-name-is-barbara-and-i-am-obese.html 

                 This is an update



I'v stuck with my determinatioin to lose weight and am currently down 34 pounds since the beginning of the year! I’ve had to give away a lot of my clothes, and now fit into some favorites that I‘d put away as “outgrown.” I continue to wear pants that are baggy, but the elastic waist still fits. I don't want to buy new clothes yet since I'm still losing those excess pounds!

According to the goal weight set by my doctor, I have 20 more pounds to lose; the light at the end of the tunnel, so to speak. However, I think I should go further than that, because I still see a very fat body.

About 16 years ago, I'd lost a lot of weight and was quite small. Everyone said I looked great, yet my brain said I was still fat. (Been overweight most of my life). I was unable to maintain my weight at that prescribed range and gave up. I gained back the 53 pounds that I’d shed, plus an additional 40.  I'm more careful now to not set myself up for failure by having too low of a weight goal.  I'm short (5'3") so can afford to have a lower weight range, but I'm also a lot older and will need to work harder to maintain the weight loss.
Physically, I feel much better. I can move and bend faster and can turn over in my sleep without it hurting to move. I still walk with a pronounced hip and have problems with the left hip but Ibuprofen helps keep the pain in check. As a result of more endurance, I recently participated in a cancer walk. I completed  just one mile of the two mile course; but I did it!  My biggest feat, however, was walking up and down the hills of a local water park. It was not too painful, and since I was having fun, I did not notice how often I was taking those steep pathways!    There should be no excuse for not walking as exercise!


My niece, her husband, and their three daughters are coming for a visit in November. The girls, by that time will be nearly 6, 2 and 1 years of age. (They are all December babies) and we all are going to Disneyland!  

My niece, who I raised since she was age ten, is not aware of my weight loss. She rarely reads my blogs, so she won’t know and it will be a great surprise when she sees me come November! I’m expecting to shed another twenty or so pounds by then, so should be able to keep up with the little ones. I’m really excited for this event.

I want to give a special shout out of appreciation to Laury H. for the support you have given by starting the Face Book support group. We’ve shared some tears and prayers and even when we are silent, I know the group is there to post a praise or a need.

 As I continue on this journey, I’d still appreciate any HELP I can get in the form of encouragement and praises. I will make it, but not alone. I cannot do this alone.

10 comments:

  1. I'm so very proud of you, Barbara! You're looking gooood! You are an inspiration and a gift. Thank you for your friendship.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! You look fabulous! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Barb!! You're doing FANTASTIC!! And you look great!! WOW! So glad to hear you're able to move around more easily--you'll be able to enjoy Disney that much more. =]

    You give so much of yourself.
    Hugs!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow that's impressive! Good for you!
    Diana
    www.pencildancer.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh sweetie - you look GREAT! You've done a wonderful job with your weight loss. Absolutely continuing to pray.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Barb, that IS impressive! Six month before my 35th Bday I decided it was time to get rid of the 20+ pounds I'd been carrying around since I was 20. I started counting all my calories first (1200 a day at the time) and exercising at least 3 days a week.
    By my 35th birthday I'd lost more than 20 pounds. I'll be 41 on Saturday and am still at my target weight. It requires constant dietary vigilance and a commitment to exercise, but it's SO worth it!
    If I can do it, and keep it off, you can too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Way to go, Barb! Have a wonderful time at Disneyland!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful, Barb! I am so proud of you. I lost 40 lbs (s-l-o-w-l-y) and kept it off well over a year. But I gained 5 of those back this spring due to not being as diligent on exercise and food tracking. But I am determined to stay down (and, ideally, would like to lose past the 40 lb. loss) so in the past couple of weeks I tightened down on both diet and exercise and took them off again. It takes a continual commitment, but, as Niki said, is *so* worth it. Praying for you as you continue to lose. And have fun at Disneyland in the fall! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. While I struggle to keep on weight rather than take it off, I do understand the struggle of having to limit certain foods and struggling to excersize. Good job!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you!