Tuesday, October 4, 2011

T.O.P.S.


For several years, I’ve been involved in a weight loss support group known as TOPS. It is an acronym for
Take Off Pounds Sensibly.






 * TOPS Club, Inc. is the original, nonprofit, weight-loss support and wellness education organization. We were established in 1948 to champion weight-loss support and success.

 TOPS promotes successful, affordable weight management with a philosophy that combines:
 • healthy eating • regular exercise • wellness information • awards and recognition
• support from others at weekly chapter meetings *



 
The history of the organization is a charming story that began in 1948 when a woman and a few friends sitting around the kitchen table decided to start a club to lose weight. This club has now grown to having clubs (chapters) in nearly every city and province.  http://www.tops.org/TOPSInformation/TopsHistory.aspx


The organization has its' own jargon of acronyms; one being IRD. This stands for International Recognition Days.  Every year, there is a 4-day convention for all the TOPS chapters of every state and province to gather together. It is at these conventions that members are honored for their weight losses. When people reach their doctor-prescribed weight goal, they "graduate" to the KOPS status. KOPS means Keep Off  Pounds Sensibly. This is a big deal; the ladies wear long white dresses and the men don suits. All wear the graduates hats. Then the International King and Queen are crowned and carry that title till the following year. There are times of inspiration, fun, tears, and encouragement. I've attended twice-once in Northern California, and the last time in Milwaukee. This is the birthplace of TOPS and it was their 50th anniversary. What a celebration it was that year!

Next summer, IRD will be here in Southern California, in the city of San Diego, which is about 120 miles south of where I live!  So excited  and working hard to reach my weight loss goal so that I may graduate at this convention!




 Another acronym is SRD - State Recognition Day.  This is a one day affair held in different cities of each state.  Next year, California's SRD will also be in San Diego and will tie in with IRD- all in the same week!


TOPS theme this year is "The Road to Success."  I'm excited that finally, something clicked in my brain, and I am ready to lose all the excess pounds I have, and I'm on the road to better health.

 As of today, I've lost 41 pounds since the beginning of the year! I have 27 more pounds to lose to reach my goal weight. I'm hoping I can attain that goal by the last Tuesday weigh-in in December.

  With a lot of hard work and support from my TOPS chapter I will make it!

8 comments:

  1. It takes lots of determination to lose weight and especially to reach your goal weight! Fantastic!
    Thanks for sharing about "T.O.P.S." it is a great organization.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you!! I'm 't'ipping my hat to you. You can do it, and you'll feel wonderful.

    Blessings...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you, Barb - and thanks for sharing this info!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so proud of you, Barb! It is tough to make those permanent lifestyle changes, but *so* worth it! Thanks for sharing TOPS with us, and I'm praying you will graduate to KOPS at the convention. What an honor! God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's terrific! Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Go, Barb!!
    You're an inspiration. I LOVE how you go for things! =]
    Hugs!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a cool organization. The graduations sound like lots of fun and great motivation! Congrats on how far you've come and blessings on the rest of your journey.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats on all your diligence! Sounds like a great organization.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you!