Monday, October 10, 2011

Underwater

This past Sunday, my church had its' third annual Children's Baptism Service.  This year, 26 kids were baptized between the two services.           
My denomination follows the doctrine of baptism by immersion. However, the building does not have a built-in baptistery so an elongated Jacuzzi-type pool is wheeled onstage. The participants then climb up the 3 steps, and step down into the water, to sit at the opposite end where there is a molded seat.

Prior to this event, all interested kids met with a pastor to ensure their understanding of the decision to be baptized.











The service is totally dedicated to the kids, and the songs they like to sing. A few songs were sung, followed by a few kids getting baptized. The Pastor explained baptism to the congregation, and then each child read off from a card why they wanted to be baptized. They were then dunked underwater. Sometimes, parents are up on stage and on occasion, a parent, or special person in the kid’s life will do the submerging. Of course, it can get emotional, especially if the child or family has a story behind the decision.


 
My church has an awesome children’s ministry and this event is one of the highlights each year.

9 comments:

  1. What a celebration! Love your "U" word.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Soooo awesome, Barb! Love baptism services :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful and inspirational post! What a powerful celebration. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I cry at baptisms, just like I do at weddings! May the excitement of our salvation never grow old!

    Oh and I know the One Way Jesus song that you had posted on your church screen! Fun song!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome, Barb! So very cool! I never would have thought to share this. Very creative:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow. What wonderful services those child baptisms must be! Thanks for sharing it with us!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How wonderful! I was baptized that way, with my dad being the one to dunk me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Baptism services ALWAYS make me cry! Fun pictures!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you!