Sunday, November 13, 2011

Music as spicy as the food

Music is a very important part of my life, and though I'm not musically inclined, I do have  a basic knowledge of  musical concepts.  I have no rhythm, yet appreciate songs that have a pronounced beat to it.  A few years ago, I was introduced to a genre of music that was very energetic and fun to listen to.

This music is called ZYDECO.

 It oriniated in Louisiana and is part Cajun Music, part blues and part Rhythm &Blues. It reminds me of Bluegrass mixed with Mariachi! Musical instruments involved in Zydeco include an accordian, a wash board worn on the chest, fiddle, drums, saxaphone, horns, guitar and  bass guitar.

                                                                             According to the website for Lafayette,
Cajun music is the product of creolization, like most other features of Louisiana French culture. The Cajun sounds are a blend of German, Spanish, Scottish, Irish, Anglo-American, Afro-Caribbean and American Indian influences with a base of western French and French Acadian folk tradition. They are most noted for their up-beat tempos, cheerful lyrics and peculiar dance rhythms. While there is no comparison to the sounds of good Cajun music, some say it reminds them of Bluegrass with a French accent, while others claim it is more like European folk music. Most Cajun music purists would agree that you must see as well as hear Cajun music performed to appreciate its richness. Most people cannot keep from dancing to the Cajun waltz and two-step rhythms when they hear the hand-clapping, foot-stomping sound in its happiest, rapid-tempo forms. 



                                 Here is a YouTube video of Zydeco band and singer known as Buckwheat.


                                                                  

                                                                                Isn't Zydeco fun?

10 comments:

  1. Zydeco music is fun.
    Diana
    www.pencildancer.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Smile! My sister-in-law is Cajun, and she gave us a tour of New Orleans. What an interesting and colorful place!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Could so see the kids in Haiti dancing to this :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad you added an example of Zydeco music. I had no idea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love energetic and fun music! FUN post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very interesting. I would love to visit New Orleans someday.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for teaching me something today!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What fun! Thanks for sharing, I'm always looking for new music to exercise to, and Zydeco would work well!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is fun! I had heard some of the music here and there, but didn't know what it was called. Thanks, Barb!

    ReplyDelete
  10. How fun! I like bluegrass and Mexican music so I'll have to give this a try (sometime when the rest of the house isn't sleeping!).

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you!