Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Why be thankful?

                                                                           Patty Wysong has started up another MEME to get us blogging through the holiday season. The theme is "Jollydaze 4 U & me" and it is six weeks of holiday-themed posts.            


Thanksgiving 1959 when I was 4 years old, Dad is behind me,
Mom across from him and my little brother across
 from me is age 3
 
Thanksgiving 1967 and I am on the right, middle, with Mom and brother.
 Dig those cat eye specs at the age of 12!
                                                                                                       
This week we observe Thanksgiving and it's a time when we are told to think about all that we are thankful for. Really, thankfulness should be on a daily basis, but I'm guilty of dwelling on the not so pleasant areas. Let me give myself a good kick in the rear and realize how blessed I am!

1.  My job is driving me crazy-Hey, I have a job! It has it's perks in that my schedule is quite flexable and I'm free to do the work at my own pace.

2.  I am single and alone-I still have my mom! It's become our tradition on Thanksgiving to have lunch at HomeTown Buffet, go see a movie, then shop at Big Lots! (No cooking, cleaning or dealing with dysfunctional relatives)

3. I have no children of my own-Nearly every Sunday, I volunteer as an extra in the church nursery where there will aways be babies to cuddle!

4. I will not be able to attain the weight loss goal I set for the end of December- I've dropped 44 pounds since the beginning of the year and I can move so much easier now!

5. My two cats wake me up,want attention when I'm on the computer, make a mess in the house and restrict me from going away for extended periods of time- They are a lot of company and they greet me when I return home each day.

6. I've accepted that I'm not a writer- A new hobby of photography has filled the gap and I'm having fun learning all about the craft and getting positive comments when I post photos on Facebook.

7.  My niece, her husband and three kids live in another state and I miss them-They are a phone call or instant message away and I don't have to deal with the melodrama of 3 girls and a pregnant mama. :)

Love you, Steph! Happy birthday on Wednesday,
God bless you, Tristan! Happy birthday TODAY!



7 comments:

  1. I love the way you turned the negative into positive. What man means for harm, God turns to good right?
    Diana
    www.pencildancer.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Barb. Your Thanksgiving sounds wonderful. =] It's NOT the easiest of days, that's for sure!

    What a great reminder to be thankful for even those things that are driving us crazy, because there ARE things to be grateful for buried in those things!!!

    And hey, are you gonna post some of your pix here on your blog? I'm looking forward to seeing them! I signed up for a Photoshop class in December! =]

    Looking forward to your pictures!!
    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for showing how to find the sparkle of thankfulness even in the negative.
    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Barbara! Great job on turning attitudes around. There is always so much to be thankful for, isn't there!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Diana, so true how God turns bad into good!

    Thanks, Patty! Truthfully, I'd rather cocoon at home, but really am grateful for my mom, and will attend to her for as long as she's around! And yes, would love to incorporate my photos into the blogs-if it works out!


    Thanks Rita and Valerie-life goes on, and we do need to see the good in things, no matter how ugly they appear.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your turning the tables on the negatives was really encouraging! Each coin has two sides...a good reminder. Today I am missing family...kids & grands, parents, sisters and their families,those family members no longer with us...yet I can be thankful for the ever present ocean waves crashing below and no long hours cooking and cleaning up or male bravdo ;-) (with 4 boys there was/is always lots of that going around). Your post refocused me. I needed that. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cheryl,thanks for sharing your thoughts. I so understand the melancholy that tends to seep out at this time of year.Glad you have the therapy of the beautiful ocean!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you!