Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Picture This


This week's theme with Patty Wysong's Meme is  related to NewYears - Celebration, Traditions, Resolutions, etc...

 Click below for more stories or to join in on the fun!

http://www.pattywysong.com/2011/11/jollydaze-4-n-me-meme.htm


For years, I’ve had a minor interest in photography and often declared that someday I would get an expensive camera and take a photography class.

Well, that someday has come and it's  my New Year's resolution to learn more about photography. I purchased a “big girl” camera this past September- a Canon  EOS Rebel T3 and have been studying online on how to use the settings. It’s been an interesting journey over the past year, and I thank the social media for directing me to special blogs and websites that encourage picture taking.

Over the last few months, I’ve developed a greater interest in photography, as my interest for writing waned. I do digital scrapbooking through the Creative Memories Company:  http://www.creativememories.com/
and it was through them, that I learned about Nick Kelsh and his “How to Photograph your Baby” site on Facebook.   http://www.facebook.com/how.to.photograph.your.baby

This site is far more than pictures of kids, which I have none, but is open to everything! It’s a social site where one can post photos and get feedback. It also provides tutorials. The site is soon becoming a webpage, so even greater interactions will occur. I began posting some of my favorite photos from my simple Point and Shoot cameras and was getting positive feedback. Facebook friends are telling me that I have “an eye” for picture taking. I don’t know about that, but I enjoy it!

I also found another photographic site that is a blog and it happens to belong to Patty’ Wysong’s sister, Cheryl.   http://www.sealevel320.com/

She posts beautiful photos and blogs on the feelings the pictures bring out. It was through Cheryl’s blog that I discovered yet another blog from Kat Sloma   http://kateyestudio.com/   Her photos are unique.
Cheryl was taking an on-line course from Kat, and posting some photos on her blog. Kat offers on-line courses, tutorials and challenges and when I saw what Cheryl was learning, I wanted to take that course too!

So, beginning on January 7, 2012, I will begin an online course on “Finding your Eye”
 http://kateyestudio.com/online-courses/find-your-eye-photo-courses
 Kat wants participants to create a photo journal. We will be given photo prompts, and upon posting a photo, write about the photo- responses, experiences, feelings and emotions involved. Other participants in the course will be interacting on each other’s photo journals. This helps to obtain insight into ourselves and to  help isolate our special "eye" of creativity. I am going to use my blog as my photo journal.

Photography has become a passion, whereas, I did not experience that strong desire with writing. Writing seemed more of a chore and I did not feel competent in it. Photography is fun, and I’m constantly seeing potential photo ops everywhere I go! It could easily turn into an obsession! I carry cheaper point and shoot cameras in my car for those times. I see so many interesting things to photograph when driving but rarely stop and follow through. Perhaps this course will nudge me to go for it!

I invite you to check in here when you have a chance and observe my progress - I welcome your thoughts and interactions!





7 comments:

  1. I am so thrilled you've chosen to pursue your passion for photography. I enjoy the shots you share on FB. You truly have a natural eye for it.

    2012 will be THE year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. BARB!! I'm soooo excited for you!! Grinning ear to ear here!! WOOT!! Hooray!! So happy!! =] =]

    You know how much I enjoy Cheryl's blog and I'm looking forward to following along as you take the Find your Eye class--Cheryl's was so interesting!! =] =]

    If I could juggle more, I'd dive into the photography, but I can't so I'm enjoying it vicariously through Cheryl and now you. =]

    ENJOY!!!
    woot! so excited for you!!!!! =]

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love that you are learning about photography. Even more hoping you'll share some secrets. :)
    Diana
    www.pencildancer.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Rita, Patty and Diana! Isn't it amazing how we can interact and learn from people we've never actually met?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so excited for you! You will love the class. I look forward to following along as you continue your journey. btw, I like you self-portrait.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm looking forward to following you in your new artistic passion. God will show you new things through your new "eyes" and we will all be blessed by it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've loved watching your photography skills improve with each shot. Proud of you!!!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you!