Tuesday, January 17, 2012

B is for BLIMP

 A new meme originated by Patty Wysong.   Click here to see more or to join the fun!   http://www.pattywysong.com/2012/01/a2z-take-2.html
A couple of months ago, I went outside to photograph the spectacular sunset and discovered a blimp circling the area.
 I've always been intrigued by these beasts of the sky and think it would be grand fun to ride in one! I've never been up close to one, though  I have a memory from age 6 or 7 when I was living in San Diego,California. I recall  playing alone outside and suddenly, this humongous blimp glides over our rooftop. Somehow, I already knew about the aircraft  and was not frightened, but was certain it would land on the house or at least scrape the roof as it passed by. I'll never know if my perspective was accurate, for no other family member witnessed it. (Back in those days, it was safe for a child to be alone outside)

I found an interesting website that explains the differences between blimps, zeppelins and airships.  http://www.airships.net/dirigible. (I love learning!)


"A dirigible is any lighter-than-air craft that is both powered and steerable (as opposed to free floating, like a balloon).  Blimps like the Goodyear blimp, rigid airships like the Hindenburg, and semi-rigid airships like the Zeppelin NT are all dirigibles.
The word “dirigible” is often associated with large rigid airships, but the term does not come from the word “rigid,” but rather the French verb “diriger” (“to steer”).
A rigid airship has a framework surrounding one or more individual gas cells, and maintains its shape by virtue of its rigid framework and not the pressure of its lifting gas.
A zeppelin is a rigid airship manufactured by a particular company, the Luftschiffbau Zeppelin of Germany (the “Zeppelin Airship Construction Company”), which was founded by Count Ferdinand von Zeppelin.

A blimp (technically called a “pressure airship”) is a powered, steerable, lighter-than-air vehicle whose shape is maintained by the pressure of the gases within its envelope.  A blimp has no rigid internal structure; if a blimp deflates, it loses its shape."

A semi-rigid airship, like a blimp, maintains its aerodynamic shape from internal gas pressure, but it has a partial rigid frame, usually in the form of a keel, which supports and distributes loads and provides structural integrity during maneuvering.
The modern Zeppelin NT, such as the one currently carrying the Farmers Insurance logo, is a semi-rigid airship rather than a blimp."




                                                                                          I was curious about the name on this blimp so I Googled it and discovered that Hanger 1 is a brand name of vodka, and the company was doing a promotional blimp tour in 2011. This photo was take November 29, 2011, near San Bernardino, California.

Not sure why the blimp in the photo appears flat-perhaps my angle or depth of field. Well, at least I captured the gorgeous sunset! I  still want to ride in a blimp- but not on this tour- thank you!

13 comments:

  1. I ALWAYS learn something at your blog, Barb! Interesting -a nd I hope you CAN ride in a blimp some time. I think it would be cool.
    Have a great day, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cool! I didn't know ANY of that. =] It cracked me up that you didn't want in on that tour. ;-)

    Hugs!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now that's just cool!
    Diana
    www.pencildancer.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I learned something today! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome photography and a lesson all in one--thanks, Ms. Barbie!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooh! I didn't know any of that, either! And I've NEVER seen a blimp live! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How cool! I've ridden in a hot air balloon, but never a blimp. Your story of one as a child reminds me of a time a friend of mine and I saw a UFO at night. It was a huge outline of lights but no engine sound. Wonder if it could have been a blimp....

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love that picture! I live close to Akron, home of Goodyear, so every once in awhile, we see the blimp. I never tire of it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a very interesting post. It is true - you do learn something new every day. Isn't blimp a great word. :))
    Thanks for you kind comment and visit to my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow Barbara, we see blimps all the time here in NW Ohio. They like to follow the Ohio Turnpike when going east to west. And I think I have a photo similar to yours someplace. Fun to learn more about them today reading your post.

    coming over from Patty's meme

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love to learn new things. Thanks for sharing this, the blimp is so cool. Talk about being in the right place at the right time.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Interesting, Barb! I enjoyed your blimp photos and also liked learning more about them!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for your comments. I enjoy sharing a bit of information about stuff as I learn about it!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you!