Monday, January 16, 2012

PHOTO JOURNAL-2

Lesson 2 of the on-line  photography course I'm studying- "Finding Your Eye"  http://kateyestudio.com/online-courses/find-your-eye-photo-courses was to organize my favorite photos into an Inspiration File, which I keep on my photo organizer site. 

For Lesson 3, I was to look over these photos and find a common theme, then find a familiar subject that fits the theme and shoot 50 pictures at different viewpoints. A list of questions encouraged thinking through the process.

My photo themes are varied, but its seems that the common bond is color-lots of color.Therefore, I decided to photograph the toddler playground at my church, because of the bold  colors of the climbing structure, and the ease of taking shots at different angles.



When did I feel the most interested and excited? The beginning was the most intense because there was so much potential. It was an overcast morning and no kids using it at the time.

When did I lose track of time? After the first couple of shots- I really got into it! At first, I was not even aware of the comings and goings of people.

How do I like the end result? I was amazed at the cool shots and points of view the camera captured.

Did my favorite image change between capture and review/edit? I must admit that I did not even check out the photos as I snapped them-just kept going! Ended up with 56 views.

When did I feel most frustrated or want to stop? Why? It was just before I did stop because I felt like there was nothing new to capture. About 30 minutes later, a group of cute little kids came out; that would have been fun to shoot! (I was busy cuddling babies in the nursery)

How did I find the experience of photographing a familiar subject with intent? It was exciting and eye-opening. I never considered the different angles of  the structure before this assignment. Of course, this was an easy photo-op; what if it was something small? How creative could I get?


What did I like or not like about the experience? I liked that I had an excuse to climb into the structure. I'm thinking now maybe I could have gone down a slide? I don't know- I'm an overweight middle-aged woman out alone in a baby's toy. :)  There were a few passersby, but no one said anything. I did inform the children's ministry director of what I was going to do, so had her permission. I do not like that my photos tend to have a bluish cast to them, Not sure what's happening.


What would I change next time to suit me? I would allow more time and to wait and let ideas come to me. How fun it would have been to wait for the kids to come out so that I could photograph little hands and feet at work- without compromising their privacy! 


This was a good learning experience- and fun! Must plan to do it more often.




15 comments:

  1. What a great idea to photograph the play equipment. It really allows for so many different angles of view. I giggled at your description of going down the slide. I like the angle you've used for your top photo. And it's very cool to look inside with a child's eye view. I wonder if you'd get better colours on a sunny day.

    Also, I like the way you specifically responded to Kat's questions. Wasn't this an interesting exercise!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh - that sounds like TONS of fun! Am really enjoying these posts, Barb!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are great, Barb. The third one is my favorite with the scene in the center back and texture in the front. (Like I actually know anything about photography LOL) What a fun way to spend an hour and you're doing great work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful photos, colors and angles :) p.s. You're never too old to "slide!"

    ReplyDelete
  5. The colourful playground was really fun! I liked the different angles you took the photos from and it was an interesting take on something that, at first glance, doesn't have so many possibilities. Finally, every single thing has a multitude of possibilities - it just depends on the way our eye looks at it!

    I enjoyed being a child again on your journey in a playground!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You captured some great natural frames at the playground! The angles and textures were just spot on!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Barbara. I especially like your photo taken at ground level. It reminds of of what it felt like to be a kid and be small. It seems appropriate to feel like that while looking at a playground! just as a side note, not related to photography, I saw your mention of autism in your profile - have you seen Carly's Voice yet? pretty amazing. http://carlysvoice.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. So glad you enjoyed this exercise Barbara! You were able to get some great shots, using the contrast of colors and shapes in the play equipment in different ways. I'm glad you can see the potential for more! One comment though, you mentioned you liked what "the camera captured." Nope, the camera didn't capture it - YOU did. The camera is just a tool, YOU are the one capturing the images. Remember that, own that. :)

    PS - The bluish cast is likely due to underexposure.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love it!! Loved the perspective of inside looking out. And I agree about the bold colors--so very striking and interesting. =]

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've been away and have missed your blogging. These pics are fun...so colorful. You getting to play--that is wonderful. I'm very glad that you are in Kat's class. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. There are a lot of cheerful colors in your photographs. What a great set to brighten a winter day!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What creativity to photograph playground toys; crawling around and peeking inside with the camera and showing the view a child would see! Such a FUN entry! I enjoyed how you wanted to get on the slide and be like a child again. My favorite is the arched opening at the bottom. Great views!
    Beverly

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really like all the different angles you have photographed this play equipment at. A great choice.

    ReplyDelete
  14. These are really cool photos! Children's playgrounds can be so much fun to photograph from different angles. You have done a really great job being able to keep the inside of the tunnels light and well exposed. I always find that tricky. The colours are really great! Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I could see what an exciting and eye-opening experience you had by just looking at the photos themselves, confirmed by reading your responsed. I like the way you tilted the camera in the first shot, fitting the play structure into the frame and also suggesting the playful nature of it. Then the additional images of parts from many points of view become abstract studies in pure color. I'm past middle age myself, learning to drop my inhibitions when taking pictures, so I applaud you for your adventure on the playground.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you!