Sunday, February 19, 2012

PHOTO JOURNAL - 9

                                       
 Intuitive Photo-Journaling
This week's assignment was to take a photo  from my  Inspirational file- one that leaps out at me, and just write about it. I choose this photo because of a recent conversation I had with my mom.

The other day, I was driving my 76 year old mother home after a day of shopping. Suddenly, she  pointed at the naked trees lining the streets and commented how ugly and dead they looked. I did not respond, because Mom tends to be pessimistic and critical of a lot of things, so to keep the peace, I said nothing.

However, my heart was crying out  "No! You are are wrong! They are beautiful!"

See how the branches appear like lacework against the grey clouded sky! They are not dead, just in a state of hibernation. Soon, delicate shoots of green will appear, and some trees will have spots of color intermingling with the leaves, but now, they  are  just in a state of dormancy.

As cliche as it is, the  old adage is true that "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder." As a beginning photographer, not only am I'm learning to capture what is a known lovely picture, but to also see beyond the ordinary. It's exciting to  see a lovely tree, but it is even more enthralling  to capture the texture in the bark, the raised pattern of veins in the leaves, perhaps an ugly bug, or a  colorful bird or even a little brown  squirrel in the the branches of those trees.

No Mom, you may see ugly dead trees, but I see God's Creation- and it is good!

_________________________________________________________________

REFLECTIONS OF THIS ASSIGNMENT:

How did I feel writing this journal? I enjoyed this assignment because writing comes easy for me if I have the right inspiration. In this case, I had the recent incident with my mom that exemplified what I feel and see in my world.

Did I learn something new? No

Did I feel uncomfortable? I had to carefully choose my words so as to not change the tone of the topic and turn it into an attack against negative people.

What was the most difficult part? Coming to a conclusion without being snarky.


I've done writing like this before. When looking for topics to blog about, I scroll through my photos and see what jumps out at me! It's really great that I can continue the writing that I no longer feel so enthused about, and have it paired with my new passion of photography! Thank you!

16 comments:

  1. So cool to join these two things you enjoy. And I agree - GORGEOUS picture!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Barb, your tree photo is lovely and I so enjoyed reading the story of the interaction between you and your mom. I've been finding lately that I actually like the trees even more without their leaves--because I can see the essential shape of the branches. I've been noticing this a lot as we were driving through a winter landscape on our road trip. I've taken many photos but most through the car window so they're not good photos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful story! I see the same thing in the winter trees. I think I like them better in the winter, because you can see all of the beautiful and unique shapes. Your post is a great message for all of us, that we can affect our reality by how we approach it. Thank you for reflecting on the assignment too. I appreciate that you worked hard to write this in a positive way, it is so much more effective for me as the reader. I'm glad you are excited to combine photographs and words! For me, photography + words = heart connection.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed reading your post :) When I used to paint (I should say when my focus was on painting as opposed to photography as it is now! ) I learned that "artists" see the world differently and that there is beauty everywhere you look with an "artists" eye. I like how you described how you see those trees, "lacework against the grey clouded sky" is a lovely way to describe the branches.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Barbara!
    I, too, love your trees! Such a beautiful image. I see them as lace against the sky. Nature is one of the ways I connect to beauty - it's something that my soul needs. Your image and your words brings that beauty to life!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Barb,
    I LOVE the tree picture. It looks like it has frost on the branches, which gives it an even more romantic feeling. Winter trees are beautiful to me also, seeing the design each branch and twig makes, and every tree variety is different. Lovely post, about feelings, and your love of natural beauty. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It probably does have frost- I was visiting family in Colorado last Christmas and was overwhelmed at the frosty mornings!

      Delete
  7. I also love your photo of the trees. They are beautiful year round, and it is good that you can see their beauty, where others don't. God made a beautiful world that's just out there waiting for us to enjoy. Thank you for sharing your words and your photo!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your blogs never cease to amaze me Barb! Your word choices are eloquent and your adjectives are perfect! Love to read your blogs and to see your photos! - Vicki

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your words with your photo give a powerful message of our choice to see the positive and beauty all around us. I love your honesty of your struggle to come to a conclusion without being snarky! You succeeded!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your comment means a lot to me, Cheryl, thank you!

      Delete
  10. Barb, your tree is beautiful. People who can see the beauty in the world and capture it for others to enjoy are truly special. Thank you for sharing this beautiful picture with us.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Barb,
    I'm with you, I love trees, too! Your image of the frost covered branches is beautiful! Too funny to hear about your conversation with your mother. Oh, the things we do to keep the peace :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. this image is so beautiful i love how much depth there is to those branches, i see it coming to life from your description & swaying & rustling in the wind with its beautiful blanket of leaves. I'd love to see a re-visit of this image when it comes out of its hibernation :)

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you!