Monday, March 19, 2012

K is for Kite!

This week, for the blog meme started my Patty Wysong, we are covering the letter "K."
 http://www.pattywysong.com/2012/01/a2z-take-2.html





In the early 1960's, when my brother and I were young, we made kites out of left over Christmas wrapping paper! That was the easy part. It was more difficult figuring out how to balance the kite with the tail, using old rags Mom gave us.

Then we'd go outside, and let her soar up into the March winds.

The kite did not last long because the thin wrapping paper would easily tear; but the activity is still a happy memory for me! 

Here are simple directions to build your own kite. Have fun!



To get you into the mood, here is a  joyful song from the ending of Mary Poppins-"Let's Go Fly a Kite"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yt_J-xU5qOI


7 comments:

  1. I would NEVER think to make a kite out of Christmas wrapping paper - I'll bet they were beautiful. What a lovely memory (and I LOVE that song from Mary Poppins! In fact, it started going through my head as soon as I saw the title of your post :D)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's how this post happened- I saw a kite flying and the song rang out in my head! It's so upbeat and happy!

      Delete
  2. What a wonderful memory. I have never had luck flying kites. Mine preferred to skim across the ground, I guess they were afraid of heights. Mary Poppins is one of my favorite movies and now I have the song playing in my head. Such a happy song!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a lousy kite flyer, and yet, I've got one in my car right now just waiting for the right day and time. Like Charlie Brown and the football, maybe today will be the day????

    ReplyDelete
  4. very creative post. I am like Marji above and Charlie Brown. But it is the perfect time of year to try again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with Marji - I too can't fly one very well but it IS March and time to try again. Great K word

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't flown a kite in years...great reminder of that simple fun! Thanks

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you!