Thursday, April 19, 2012

O is for Ocular Sinister

In the medical world, the abbreviation for left eye is OS or ocular sinister. I cringed when I first heard that, as it inferred that the left side is evil. I happen to be left handed. That is not evil!


Hey, everyone knows that the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, and therefore, we are in our right minds! 

I have a history of problems with both the left and right eyes. I've had  retinal tears in the left and bleeds in the right. I've experienced injections in the left eyeball and laser therapy in the right eye. I wear contact lenses that are mono vision. The left eye is for close up and the right eye is for distance. I always fail the left side vision tests until I tell the clinician of the special lenses. That's still not evil! I have a form of macular degeneration due to severe myopia but cannot remember which eye it is in. I still have my vision and for that, very thankful! My grandma went blind with untreated glaucoma and my mom has it now. I get tested at every visit. So far, so good!

Currently, I'm overdue for follow-up with the optometrist for new contacts and glasses and also with the opthamologist for checking up on the retinal tear and bleeders floating in my line of vision. My eyes are dilated at each visit and they stay that way up to 10 hours. That makes it difficult to work some times, so I've put off making  the appointments due to being so busy at work but expect to make one in the next few weeks. I do not want to lose my  vision! That would be evil.






1 comment:

  1. Praying, my friend. I'm also a lefty - and I am NOT evil either :)

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you!