Tuesday, May 22, 2012

T is Tea for Two

During the first week of May, I flew to my niece's home in Colorado Springs to help out while she was in the hospital, giving birth to her fourth daughter.

 The oldest daughter, Samantha (age 6), stayed with me at their home, while the two younger ones stayed with the paternal grandparents, and their dad stayed at the hospital with my niece, Stephanie.


Sammi and I have a special bond, because she and Stephanie lived with me the first two years of her life. We had a great time together and one of our adventures was that of participating in a Victorian Tea at Miramont Castle Museum in Manitou Springs, Colorado.

We dressed up in long, lacy dresses to be princesses for a day! Sammi kept getting compliments on her pretty dress from everyone we came across!

We had reservations for Saturday, May 5th, at twelve noon. We arrived at the Tea Room and Sammi was offered a choice of hats to wear. It took her a couple of choices before she decided on one that fit just right. She looked so cute!


   
   



Our first course was of a  single scone with 3 types of topping-two flavored butters and a jelly. I really liked the Devonshire Cream, and Sammi enjoyed the jelly! We each had a lovely tea pot with pretty cups and delicate stirring spoons. Sammi had pink lemonade in hers and I had  a tasty mango tea.  


We were then served individual plates with 4 two-inch sandwiches, bedded between flower buds. One sandwich was of cucumber and cream cheese, another was a cinnamon butter, another was a strawberry butter and I forgot what the last one was, but they were all yummy! Sammi also received a crystal dish filled with fruit and whipped cream that was included in the "Princess Tea" that catered to kids.








Sammi was not impressed with the sandwiches so being the child that she is, began to play with her food-stabbing the bread with the ends of the flowers. Silly girl! 
    The shared dessert plate  had lemon bars, a fruit cake type dessert, cheese cake and a chocolate caramel candy. Since I'd eaten Sammi's unwanted sandwiches, I was full, but did taste a couple of the sweets. I had asked the waitress if I could purchase a cucumber sandwich for my niece, per her request, but they were not set up to do that. However, she brought out a to-go container with several pieces of the dessert! (She was generously tipped)  I added to the container what I did not eat, and later took it to Stephanie.











                                      
 Sammi's favorite part was the tea pot and dainty cup. She consumed the entire pot! She took this photo of me sipping my tea.



After we finished with our tea, we explored the castle. It had a history from the 1800's and was four stories in height. We felt as though we were in another world!     http://www.miramontcastle.org/index.html

Okay, I'm now going to flaunt this adorable child and my new found photography skills!


 I  enhanced this photo by changing it to a sepia color to mimic photos of old!

Sammi blended in so well with the Victorian  theme!
This photo is cropped in closer to cut out other decor on the walls in the gift shop. 

This one is my absolute favorite!  It's the original; not cropped or color enhanced!


It was late afternoon when we left the castle and had to face a short uphill walk to where the rental car was parked. It was hot and we were not appropriately dressed for hiking, but we took frequent stops as Sammi was delighted with the dandelion puffs lining the road. A lot of dandelion seeds, and a few wishes floated off on a breeze that afternoon!  



We completed our outing by going to the hospital to see Mommy and Daddy,
 and newborn sister, Anneliese Noelle. 
Sammi got to hold 3 day old Annie for the first time. Annie was in the NICU due to breathing problems as a result of her mama needing to be anesthetized prior to her birth. She is now home, but still on oxygen.


We really had a grand time that day, and it is a memory we will both cherish. I'm now making a digital scrapbook for Sammi, as a gift to remember that special time we had together.  I wished I lived close to the family so that I could be there all the time, but that is not feasible at this time. I have learned to appreciate and value the times I do get!

24 comments:

  1. Beautiful pictures- and what a lovely day you had with that precious girl. Thanks so VERY much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And flaunt her you should--she is absolutely adorable! What a perfect setting for a princess tea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous pictures. How fun! And I love the sun-kissed picture with the rays coming in through the window.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful ! What a wonderful and dreamy way to spend the day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perfect work- dreamy. It felt like another time and era!

      Delete
  5. This was beautiful! What a fantastic day and memories made. She truly had the princess experience. Your photographs are breath taking as is your niece. Flaunt away!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. wonderful story of family love...thanks for posting

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cool! I was born in Colorado Springs and have fond early memories of Manitou (have often thought of moving there). Neat to see pics of the tea, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to go back and explore the area-looked so charming!

      Delete
  8. What a beautiful photoserie you made, love the story of that special day for the both of you, congrats with the little baby.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Elsie! Baby is now off oxygen and doing well!

      Delete
  9. What a beautiful story and pictures to go with it. Your new skills were put to great use. I know that this is a day that both you and your neice will always remember.

    I am sorry to see Kat's class end but we did learn alot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ginny! It was a fun blog to put together too!

      Delete
  10. What a lovely outing! Your tea with your niece sounds absolutely delightful.....my mouth was watering. Your photo story really gave the readers a sense of place. I especially love the shot of her next to the window. And now you're making an album -- wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Gina! Now to figure out something to make for myself!

      Delete
  11. This is a wonderful photo essay! You did a perfect job sharing the day in photos and words. I lived in Colorado Springs for almost 7 years but never got to Miramont Castle. Now that I know there's a tea, I'll have to go next time I visit! Fun to see you show off your photography skills. That sepia image is my favorite!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank You Kat! That means a lot to me!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yes Barbara, this was wonderful! And your favorite is mine too!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you!