Friday, August 2, 2013

B is for Beach Babies

http://www.pattywysong.com/2013/07/a-to-z-meme.html
This is the second  week of the A to Z blog meme. This weeks'  blog hop is sponsored by the letter "B". Click on the link below the photo on the right to read more about the meme. 
 
From April 1 through May 10, 2013, my niece, Stephanie, and her family of 4 little girls came to California for an extended stay due to her husband Tristan's  job
 
They stayed in a hotel suite in Pasadena, which is about  33 miles from my home. While Tristan worked during the week, I would take off a day from work to go on adventures with  Stef and the girls and I had a ball! On weekends, Tristan would join in on the fun. We went to the zoo, the museum in Los Angeles,  participated in an English Tea, walked local malls,
Knott's Berry Farm, Down Town Disney and played in parks with duck ponds. However, my
 most favorite adventure of all was the day we went to the beach!
 
Saturday, April 27 dawned sunny and breezy. I met them at the Cabrillo Marine Aquarium in San Pedro. What a wonderful place it was and we had so much fun exploring.
 
After the exploring was done, we walked across the parking lot to the beach. Seven year old Sammi has seen the ocean before so was caught up in digging in the wet sand.  Three year old Lily was in awe, as well as two year old Lucy. Baby Annie, who was to turn one on May 3, was not so impressed
 
 

The girls were allowed to get wet in their clothes, which added to their fun!  I was so impressed with Tristan and how wonderful a daddy he is to his girls.

Sammi preferred the sand and spent most of the time building castles. She did enjoy the waves
Lily loved the water, but not too thrilled with the sand. Once she felt comfortable, there was no stopping her!

Lucy was not thrilled with the water, but liked the sand. She's very inquisitive and wanted to check out the seagulls.
Annie did not care for the icy water or the warm sand. Smart girl- it was chilly to me! But the family, who recently moved to North Carolina, had lived in Colorado. Temperatures in the'70's was warm to them!


                         How's this for Super Daddy! He hauled those 3 kids in stroller across the sand to the parking lot.

It was getting on late afternoon, and Stephanie wanted to have dinner at Ruby's Diner at the end of Huntington Beach Pier. Ruby's is a 1950's style diner and has chocolate shakes to die for!
 The girls were cleaned off, dressed in dry clothes and promptly fell asleep in the car.
 I followed them the 45 minute trip to this other  beach that is very popular and  very crowded.
Pictures of Ruby's Diner - Restaurant Photos
                                                              This photo of Ruby's Diner is courtesy of TripAdvisor


We had a delicious meal and took a leisurely stroll around the pier. The sun was low on the horizon and it was quite breezy. We  parted ways around 7:00PM as all of us girls were becoming quite cranky!
This was a wonderful day and I had a great time. My only regret is that I spent the time taking pictures rather than joining the girls in the sand.

The family is back home now, and I've recently completed making each girl a digital storybook of their time here. I also made one for myself! I get to relive those days over and over and remember the fun through the photographs (and forget the times when we were not so pleasant to be around). I look forward to the next time I get to be with my niece and her precious  family.
                                                      (To learn more about my relationship with my niece, click here)
                                                          http://msbarbiesblog.blogspot.com/2011/09/my-girls.html











12 comments:

  1. I love the beach and am so fortunate to have grown up on the sugar white beaches of Florida. Nothing like the feel of sand in your pants for the rest of the day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny! That's why you bring a change of clothes! Thanks for reading and responding!

      Delete
  2. What a lovely time you had - and SUCH cute girls! Miss So Cal beaches - at least a bit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are precious little girls and I so wished I lived near them. I live 50 miles from the beach yet nearly get there and I love the ocean!

      Delete
  3. Oh my gosh! What adorable girls! Looks like such a fun day. Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Tom, and I agree! Of course, I could be a bit biased!

      Delete
  4. Like what a great daddy Tristan is! Wonderful pictures as usual!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Linda! I thought so too. Watching him carry a girl in each arm was also impressive!

      Delete
  5. Barb, your girls are just beautiful! Loved seeing their pictures...too adorable. How did you do the pictures like that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. Thanks, Patty.

      For the pictures, I grouped them together in my digital scrapbooking software program. Decided to go that route after having so many problems positioning pictures in the blog.

      Delete
  6. I love your pictures! Too adorable:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful way to spend the day, Barb. Your nieces are lucky little ladies to have you.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you!