Thursday, August 15, 2013

D is for Digital Scrapbooking

http://www.pattywysong.com/2013/07/a-to-z-meme.html
This is the 4th  week of the A to Z blog meme. This weeks'  blog hop is sponsored by the letter "D". Click on the link below the photo on the right to read more about the meme
 
 But over the last 5 years or so, I've been addicted to digital scrapbooking. This is all done through the computer and I can do so much more than with the traditional method. I've made and given away  numerous "storybooks" and can still get lost in the hours of creativity.
 
I have some wonderful software from the company, Creative Memories, and up until recently, there was always more "paper" and embellishments that I could purchase and download. I've been a loyal customer for all these years, and it's heartbreaking to know that the company will be no more. You see, they've recently filed bankruptcy and in the process of "restructuring." What this means is that the company, Creative Memories, will be defunct in a few weeks. We have yet to be informed as to what will be available to us. All the company consultants will be let go at the end of this month. My consultant has become a dear friend and my heart breaks for her loss. (God has met her need in another direction.)
 
From what I understand, I can still use the software that I have, but cannot count on CM to print and ship the product. I believe that I can save the images as a jpg. and upload to a file, and then have it printed out at places such as Costco or Target.  It will probably be cheaper, but the  high quality promise  won't be guaranteed  such as Creative Memories maintained.

I've made my grandniece, Sammi, numerous books, and just recently, made storybooks for all 4 girls; scrapping  memories of their trip to California this past Spring. Stephanie says they love them and  I was hoping that she would be able to  send me a photo of them enjoying the books. I was thinking of a group shot- but she went above and beyond, and shot individual poses! Bless you, Stephanie! (And I love the bright colors!)
 

 
 All these years of making books I've never made one for myself, until now! When I completed the girls' book, I made a 12 by 12 sized book for me! I don't know when I will get it, for the company is backed up in their orders, so it could be awhile. Here is a sample 2 page layout from the book. It's the day we went to the beach. (My "B" blog entry)


I've also started a smaller book, grouping my favorite photography shots in like colors. I was thinking that I should get them off the computer and put to use, so a coffee-table type book would be a fun way to display the pictures. I should get back to that project!

As you can see, it's a time consuming hobby, with so many  techniques to try out. I've barely dented the surface in attempting the digital enhancements, but I really enjoy the time that I can tune out the world and dwell in the land of digital scrapbooking.

                                Do you have any hobbies where you can get lost in another world?


24 comments:

  1. What a beautiful hobby. My daughter-in-law does a beautiful job scrapbooking also.

    I go through phases because I'm not that artistic. You've inspired me to get back to it.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You don't need to be artistic! Besides that, there are numerous books out there with layouts or you can copy someone else's style! Hope you enjoy!

      Delete
  2. I've done some scrapbooking the old fashioned way, and sometimes it's fun and sometimes it's just time consuming. Plus, all those little papers and stickers really start to add up. But the end product, when I get around to it, is so awesome to look at.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right- very expensive! That the benefit of going digital- the "papers" and "stickers" can be used over and over! Besides that, the colors and textures can be changed.

      Delete
  3. Oh, wow, that is so cool! I have never ventured into digital scrapbooking. Wish my photography skills were a bit better. Looks like such fun and your nieces will have those books forever.

    I tend to lose myself in books of a different kind. Inspy romance. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You don't need photography skills. If you don't like the background or something else in the photo, you can cut it out or cover it with some kind of sticker.

      I like to read Christian romance stories too-especially the suspense ones.

      Delete
  4. Love doing digi-scrapping. I haven't been as fatihful about it the past few years but that's about to change because there is a grandson on the way! Yay, a reason to take photos!
    Blessings,
    Diana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh how exciting-a grandbaby! One of the best reasons to take pictures! Enjoy your little blessing.

      Delete
  5. Oh, Barb, how beautiful. These memories will last for generations. I'm so sorry to hear about Creative Memories. I have some of their material, but just have never given myself time to pursue using. Thanks for sharing the sweet pictures. What a treasure these sweet girls have in you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Nancy. I know, it's devastating news for so many people. You wonder how that could have happened when they have so many loyal followers.

      Delete
  6. Those digi-scrapbooks are such a great idea for the girls! They will enjoy looking at them for the rest of their lives. I am so sorry they are closing your company. :-(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Linda! It is so sad about the company.

      Delete
  7. What a beautiful gift to your grand niecss, they will enjoy them for a lifetime!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It was so fun to make the books- and very therapeutic after they returned home. It helped me deal with the loss by reliving the adventures.

      Delete
  8. I've scrapbooked for my kids since they were born. Each year on their birthdays they get a book of their entire year. They used to be done by hand, glue, stickers...etc. but I switched to digital about five years ago too:) It's my most favorite thing to give them and my husband and I always finish it with a note just for them. I've told them they belong to me until they have their own homes! LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is awesome, Susan! They will cherish those albums forever! What company do you use?

      Delete
  9. Very nice! My wife is the "crafty" one in our home, but I love taking photos (mostly nature shots). Oh, and those girls are ADORABLE! Thanks for posting, Barbara!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tom. Seem very few guys do scrapbooking, but that's okay! Photography is a fun and wonderful hobby too.

      And thanks, I agree, those girls are adorable! :)

      Delete
  10. Wow. Had no idea CM was going out of business.. I was pretty big into scrapbookig. For a few years, until Marc got sick love the pox. And so glad you have a passion like this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joanne! It is very sad news for all-customers, consultants and staff. It its beginning, it was a Christian-based organization, and was even featured on a Dr. Dobson radio broadcast.

      Delete
  11. Such talent and putting it into good use and memories to cherish for a lifetime and then some. Your niece's are beautiful! Thanks for sharing Barb.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow. I wish I had that kind of time/talent. It's a great day when I get the photos OFF the camera and arranged in a file BY DATE. :)

    You inspire me...but alas, that will probably amount to nothing. Too much to do. At least I have the pictures, though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Barb, I LOVE your book idea!! Those look SO cool!! What a treasure for your girls!!

    I didn't know CM was going out of business either. Sad news. =[ I hope you get your 12 x 12 book soon--what a fantastic idea!! =]

    ReplyDelete
  14. Awesome hobby! I am terrible about pictures but I do blog them. And then there's facebook but my kids' childhoods are in boxes. And you don't even want to hear about how much film I have that's not developed. Do they still develop film?

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you!