Friday, September 6, 2013

G is for Game Boy


A few years ago, I was wandering around in a Big Lots store when I heard a mother call out "Marco!" When I turned a corner, I met up with her as she called out another "Marco!" I could not help it ... I responded with "Polo!"
 
She was seeking out her young son, but I was sheepishly smiling at my own response. Whenever I hear the name "Marco" it's an automatic reaction to also think "Polo." Why? Because, as a child, I played a swimming pool game known as MARCO POLO.




 
I currently live in a complex of Townhouses and am situated about 50 feet from the community pool. Not a day goes by that I don't hear kid's yelling out "Marco!" and the chorused response of "Polo!" Fifty plus years later and kids are still playing this pool game!
 
The game, MARCO POLO,  is a form of tag played in water. One person is "it" and is known as Marco.  Marco is supposed to keep his eyes closed and moves around trying to tag the other players. The others  yell out "Polo" so that Marco can locate by voice. When another player is tagged, then she becomes Marco.
 
I was curious as to the history of this game, why it's so named, and how long has it been played. The information I located was almost silly in it's answer. Mainly, numerous sites stated, was because the explorer was lost and didn't know where he was going.  I could not find anything of an acceptable answer, but I know it's been played for at least half a century! I think, given the opportunity, I would still play this game today! It's fun-as long as Marco doesn't cheat.   

 
Do you have memories of this game?  

15 comments:

  1. LOL. I grew up with a pool. Oh yes, I played this game A LOT! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had a Doughboy pool- the above ground kind that you take down during the colder weather.

      Delete
  2. Played this countless times with my kids. They cheated. I did too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. We used to play this all the time in my grandmother's pool. We sorta cheated.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. I'm still curious as to when this game actually started!

      Delete
  5. LoL. I think that's almost everyone's automatic response to Marco! Too funny. I never spent much time in a pool...and thinking about it, I don't think I've ever played Marco Polo! Amazing. LoL. But I've watched it many times. =]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never played? Well, next time you are in a body of water, start a game going!

      Delete
  6. Many an hour spent playing this game in the pool while I was a kid. I just wondered, how did the mom respond at Big Lots, with a smile or a frown...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think she appreciated my humor. Perhaps she was worried about where her son was? I know she found him not too far off.

      Delete
  7. I used to love playing Marco Polo.

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Definitely a Marco Polo player - we had a pool in our back yard most of my growing up years, and it was an absolute fave. This post made me giggle. And I have NO idea of the origin of the game. But it's still fun!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't think I've ever played it but I have heard of it. Anything to do with a pool I'm there! Swimming's one of my favorite activities.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you!