Friday, September 13, 2013

H is for "Help, Cecil, Help!"

http://www.pattywysong.com/2013/07/a-to-z-meme.html
I must be feeling nostalgic for events of my youth, for here is yet another post about those bygone days. This week, our alphabet meme is hosting the letter "H" and my post centers around a tag line spoken in an old cartoon called "The Beanie and Cecil Show."



 
 
I was a child in the 1960's, and loved this particular cartoon that began in 1962. It ran for one season, but had reruns for several years. I believe there was an updated version in the 1980's, but never watched those shows.

The character, Beanie, was a human boy who wore a beanie cap, that allowed for him to fly wherever he wanted to go. Cecil was a sea-sick sea serpent who was a very devoted friend to Beanie, although a bit goofy. The two, along with Beanie's uncle, would go on adventures while sailing on the ship, and more often than not, Beanie would get into trouble. Then he would call out "Help, Cecil, Help!" Cecil would respond "I'm comin' Beanie Boy, I'm a comin'!"
 
While researching this info, I watched some of the videos, and was amused at the puns played out during the cartoon. As a child, I would not have picked up on that, but now, I appreciated the humor. I love pun-filled cartoons!

The show had other characters, most with pun-filled names and many developed their own tag lines. Of course, every adventure must include the bad guy, and this was no exception. The villain was a guy named Dishonest John. He often went by" DJ." Cecil would always declare "DJ-you dirty guy!"
 
This was particularly humorous, because my brother's initials in first and middle name was DJ, so of course, you know what I called him! And my dad's name was John! We really had fun with that name!   Dishonest John had an evil laugh- something to the effect of "Naa-ah- ahhhh"
 
Like most cartoons of that era, there was lots of music and singing. I learned to appreciate classical music by hearing it played out in those cartoons. The Beanie and Cecil show always had the opening song and  the ending song, where they chorused   "....a Bob Clampett cartoooooon!" Each new episode would introduce the cartoon by singing what  that particular program was about, in the same tune as the theme song.
 
Do you remember seeing this program? Who was your favorite character?
 
 
 
 

8 comments:

  1. Don't remember this one. The earliest one I remember is H.R. Pufnstuf (which probably explains why I turned out like I did). Such a weird show. Thanks for sharing, Barbara!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I vaguely remember that show and the character known as Witchypo. I do remember another Kroft puppets production- "The Bugaloos" from the early 1970's.

      Delete
  2. That's too early for me. I was born in 1963;) I remember HR Pufinstuf too, Tom. lol and Underdog and the Flintstones and Jetstons. They just don't make them like they used to. Poor kids nowadays. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's okay- I still loved cartoons as I grew up. I watched the ones you mentioned. I still love Bugs Bunny and Popeye! :)

      Delete
  3. I'm about 20 years too late for this show, but I was a huge fan of Duck Tales. Sure beats some of the stuff they call cartoons these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I watched Duck tales by default- as my niece watched them as a kid. Oh, and Animaniacs too!

      Delete
  4. My favortie was Felix the Cat, the wonderful, wonderful cat! I watched Beany and Cecil too though and loved their adventures. Funny how these early memories stick with us and give us pleasure to reacall. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't grow up with much TV. When we did have on it was a 12" black and white. So cartoons aren't something I'm very familiar with. I do remember my grandpa watching Bugs Bunny, The Roadrunner and Tom and Jerry. But not this one!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you!