Friday, September 20, 2013

I is for Icthus




 I was a teenager during the Jesus Freaks era, (I did my share of passing out tracts on the beach!) and wearing the Sign of the Fish was a big fad amongst Christian youth. According to the history, Icthus is the Greek word for fish and the  letters represent Jesus, Christ, Son, God, Savior.
 
It was used as a  symbol by the  early Christians who were persecuted for their faith.  They  would draw the fish shape in the dirt to let other Christians know who was safe to speak of their faith.
 
 So, it was the same  for Christian youth-we recognized other Christians by the fish necklace or bracelet they wore. I believe I still have one of the icthus pendants  that I wore as a teenager
 
Back in those days, we were allowed to have Bible studies on the high school campus during  lunch period. We would sing a few songs accompanied by guitar, pray and have a short devotional. We had our Bibles and used them right there on school property! We even had a couple of teachers as our mentors. Of course, there were kids who participated just to be part of the cool group- but they were always accepted and loved.
 
 Today, when we see the symbol of the fish, it's often meaningless and not necessarily demonstrating that the bearer is a follower of Christ. Perhaps it was just another religious fad, but I have fond memories of those years when I was a follower of Christ even before it was cool to be a Jesus Freak.

 
 
Have you any memories of those days, or remember reading about them? Do you use the Icthus symbol?
 
 

This week, the Alphabet Meme is sponsored by the letter "I" check out the link and join in on our blog hop!    http://www.pattywysong.com/2013/07/a-to-z-meme.html
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 



15 comments:

  1. I had a fish on my car back in high school. I makes me sad to see such a symbol corrupted with Darwin's feet or little alien spaceships.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so true about the corruption ruining the real meaning.

      Delete
  2. I supposed "See you at the pole" is the closest thing to on-campus Bible studies nowadays. Thanks for posting, Barbara!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the history of the Icthus, Barb. It never fails to make me stop and think. In some ways things have changed so much, yet in other ways they haven't.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems that so many symbols and icon are now meaningless. Kind of sad.

      Delete
  4. Interesting stuff! I'd heard of (and have seen) the icthus, but didn't know much about its history. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good memories, Ms. Barbie! Our church started a program of meeting needs at some of our local schools. Volunteers refresh the grounds by planting trees or flowers or clean and spiff the interiors of the buildings. The program has been so successful, schools have actually called and requested volunteers to come. It's really amazing, and it's led to other interactions with the schools. Wishing you a Son-kissed weekend, my friend. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm thinking you intended this for the "F" blog? But anyway, thanks for stopping by. :)

      Delete
  6. I miss those days when people were passionate about getting the Word of God to the people. I was known at my school as the "Bible Girl" some called me "Virgin Mary." My methods weren't always right but people definitely knew I was passionate about Christ and I carried my Bible with me all day. I'd witness to the druggies in the hallway who were skipping class because they were high. Drugs were a huge problem in the 70s. We had police officers at the school and full-time security guards long before anyone thought of doing it anywhere else (this was Wichita, Kansas). I wish I would have remained strong in my belief in college but I did stray away for about a year and a half. Too long to be away from King Jesus! But He is so gracious and forgiving. I ran into one of the druggies about four years out of high school and he said, "Praise God! I remember you! You used to witness to me non-stop. Well, guess what, I'm saved now and filled with the Holy Ghost!" He was one of the guys I'd read the Psalms to when he was strung out on drugs in the hallway.

    We all may not have the Icthus around our necks anymore, but we are the only symbol or Bible some people will ever read, so even when it's hard, I try to be a good example of Christ on this earth. Not saying I always am because I'm a sinner saved by grace. But what a challenge but what a privilege, too. Thanks for taking me down sweet memory lane!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a really cool testimony! Thanks for sharing it.

      Delete
  7. Yes! Fond memories of coffee houses in church basements and guitar music.
    Blessings,
    Diana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We did not have local coffee houses but lots of guitars! On Wednesday nights, my church had a program called "Wednesday 7" and we often had 200 kids piled into the church social hall. It was awesome!

      Delete
  8. Everything I see the fish on the back of a car I think, "ah, they too, love Jesus and I say a prayer for them. Thanks for the enlightening post!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you!