Friday, September 27, 2013

J is for Joyful, Joyful, We Adore Thee

One of the most jubilant hymns I've ever heard is Joyful, Joyful We Adore Thee. I cannot feel discouraged when I hear this powerful piece. The music is from the final movement of  Ludwig  van  Beethoven's 9th Symphony of Ode to Joy, and the Lyrics. were penned by Henry van Dyke  in 1907.

     
      Joyful, joyful, we adore Thee, God of glory, Lord of love; Hearts unfold like flow’rs before Thee, Op’ning to the sun above. Melt the clouds of sin and sadness; Drive the dark of doubt away; Giver of immortal gladness, Fill us with the light of day!
     
    All Thy works with joy surround Thee, Earth and heav’n reflect Thy rays, Stars and angels sing around Thee, Center of unbroken praise. Field and forest, vale and mountain, Flow’ry meadow, flashing sea, Singing bird and flowing fountain Call us to rejoice in Thee.
     
    Thou art giving and forgiving, Ever blessing, ever blest, Wellspring of the joy of living, Ocean depth of happy rest! Thou our Father, Christ our Brother, All who live in love are Thine; Teach us how to love each other, Lift us to the joy divine.
     
    Mortals, join the happy chorus, Which the morning stars began; Father love is reigning o’er us, Brother love binds man to man. Ever singing, march we onward, Victors in the midst of strife, Joyful music leads us Sunward In the triumph song of life.
      I think it's right up there with one of  my favorite hymns- How Great Thou Art, in music that lifts up praise to God!


       What do you think? Do you have a favorite hymn?



      This week, the Alphabet Meme is sponsored by the letter "J." Check out the link and join in on our blog hop!    http://www.pattywysong.com/2013/07/a-to-z-meme.html

      18 comments:

      1. I think one of my favorites is How Great Thou Art as well. Every time I hear this Joyful one I always want to belt it out. I think it's just that kind of song, er, hymnal.

        ReplyDelete
        Replies
        1. Can you imagine being in some awesome environment such as a mountain or ocean home and hearing these songs! Goosebumps just thinking about it!

          Delete
      2. I'm with you, Barb. This is one of those great hymns that canNOT be sung sitting down (unless you have to, LoL). Definitely a favorite, along with How Great Thou Art! =]

        ReplyDelete
        Replies
        1. I've heard versions that are even more upbeat and build to a great crescendo!

          Delete
      3. Oh, I love this one! And I'm definitely one of those people who MUST stand when I sing a praise song. A couple of songs (not hymns, though) that really lift my heart are "Redeemed" by Big Daddy Weave and 10,000 Reasons by Matt Redman. Love 'em!! Thanks for this, Barbara!

        ReplyDelete
        Replies
        1. I've not heard of those songs, Dora! I must check them out.

          Delete
      4. Great song and post. One of my favorites is The Solid Rock.

        ReplyDelete
      5. I love happy hymns. This one definitely qualifies and How Great Thou Art is right up there too. Then there is A Mighty Fortress and Blessed Assurance and . . . . hard to pick just one!

        ReplyDelete
        Replies
        1. I agree- it is hard to pick just one. I also like those you listed.

          Delete
      6. I love this one!!! But like Dora "Redeemed" by Big Daddy Weaave and "10,000 Reasons" by Matt Redman really get me.
        Blesssings,
        Diana

        ReplyDelete
        Replies
        1. I need to check those songs out- had not heard them.

          Delete
      7. DEFINITELY love this hymn. Beautiful and meaningful - but I'd have to say "It Is Well With My Soul" is my personal favorite - along with Amazing Grace.

        ReplyDelete
        Replies
        1. Oh, I DO love that one, too. I have a version on cassette tape, sung by the group "2nd Chapter of Acts." It's also goose bump=inducing!

          Delete
      8. My favorite hymn "It is Well" and I also love "Take My LIfe and Let It Be." But I love singing Joyful, Joyful on resurrection day! It's a fun song to play on the piano, too. Fun post!

        ReplyDelete
        Replies
        1. Oh, I bet the song would be fun to play on the piano! I also love "It is Well" Thanks for stopping by!

          Delete
      9. I love the hymns, "Take my Life and Let it Be" and "It is Well with my Soul." Joyful, Joyful is fun to play on the piano! Great post!

        ReplyDelete
        Replies
        1. I also love "It is Well" What a story behind that song!

          Delete

      I would love to hear from you!