Friday, October 11, 2013

L is for Lavender Festival


This past June, I met up with two women who are Facebook friends on a photography group I'm participating in. Barbara, Susan and I  met face to face for the first time and Susan brought her husband and two daughters. We "clicked" right away and had a pleasant time photographing the event.


Rows and rows of lavender bushes in bloom- the fragrance was powerful and bees were having their own gatherings!






There were exhibits on how to make beverages from lavender- I believe one was wine, and many types of food made from the flower. We sampled lavender ice cream. It tasted just like it smelled. I would not care to consume an entire serving! There were also breads and cakes made with the bloom, but I did not try any. I love lavender as a body wash or air freshener, but not for eating!
 
Other booths displayed crafts made from the flower, and were quite attractive.




There were two sets of hay wagons trotting around the grounds giving tours and educating folks on the wonders of lavender. I did not take the ride, but enjoyed the beauty of the horses!







It was cool seeing several  fellow "artists" at work! We had permission to photograph them and they seemed pleased to be included.


We really had a nice time together. The weather was pleasant and the atmosphere was relaxing. There were several booths selling food so we had a nice lunch in the shade of pine trees.

I really enjoy photo safaris and it's even more fun when going with like-minded friends! I hope to be able to do something like this again in the future. (But only after my hip replacement has been completed!




          Does your hobby provide the opportunity for meeting up with new people?

This week, the Alphabet Meme is sponsored by the letter "L"  Check out the link and join in on our blog hop!    http://www.pattywysong.com/2013/07/a-to-z-meme.html 

18 comments:

  1. I love lavender and even grew it one year. I never heard of a lavender festival before. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never heard of it either, till invited by one of the ladies I met. Not sure if I want it in my yard due to its' attraction for bees

      Delete
  2. Spectacular pictures, Barbara! Where is this? I want to visit. Is June the best time?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan, this was in Cherry Valley, California- somewhat near Yucaipa. The festival was held in June so guess that's when those particular bushes were at their peak. Perhaps there are different festivals going on during the summer.

      Delete
  3. Well, this is just beautiful. I agree with you though, lavender is for smelling nice and maybe not so much for eating. I'd give it a whirl once just to say I did.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's true- and we did! Thanks for dropping by.

      Delete
  4. I LOVE that first picture, Barb. Just gorgeous! Sounds like an absolutely lovely time. Thanks, friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked it too- that's why it's my current Facebook header!

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Southern California, in the Beaumont/Yucaipa area

      Delete
  6. Beautiful pictures! I could spend the whole day there. A little lavender goes a looooong way for me though. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! There can be too much of a good thing. Thanks for dropping by.

      Delete
  7. I'm with you, Barbara. I love the smell of lavender, but I don't think I'd like to eat it. Your photos are BEAUTIFUL!
    And isn't it wonderful to meet face-to-face with friends you've connected with online? That's awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dora. That was the second time to do that with photography friends. It is fun.

      Delete
  8. Lavender...oh how awesome! I absolutely love lavender. Your pics are beautiful. I made some lavender sugar back in the spring & used it in the dandelion jelly I made...it was wonderful! Tastes like honey. I think going to a lavender farm would put me in a coma. It is so relaxing to smell. And yes, since I've been writing (blogging) it HAS led me to meeting some wonderful people! That's how I met Karla Akins & got to go speak at her book launch ladies retreat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, lavender sugar sounds yummy! How cool about the way you met Karla! So far, meeting people has only resulted in cyber friends, but hopefully someday, can meet more than just online.

      Delete
  9. What a LOVELY event! I wish I could have joined you. I have a lavender stick I use on my temples for headaches and stress. It really works!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be fun- we could go on your motorcycle! Thanks for dropping by.

      Delete

I would love to hear from you!