Friday, December 13, 2013

U is for "Under the bus"


This weeks'  blog hop is sponsored by the letter "U"
Click on the link below to read more about the meme  and join in on our blog
hop  http://www.pattywysong.com/2013/07/a-to-z-meme.html


I've often heard the phrase that someone was Thrown under the bus or She threw her under the bus. In fact, I've been the recipient of being Thrown under the bus many times.    :(
I get the gist of the phrase- that someone is trying to or has achieved getting someone in trouble; but I was curious as to the actual definition and how this phrase came to be.

 My research first led me to the Urban Dictionary                                           http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=throw%20under%20the%20bus



                   Throw under the bus:

1.  To sacrifice some other person, usually one who is undeserving or at least vulnerable, to make personal gain.               He'd throw his mother under the bus if it'd mean he could beat the rap.

2.  One is thrown under the bus when they are made the scapegoat or blamed for something that wasn't their responsibility in the first place. A cover-up for your mistake.                                                                                                             Ruby Red, I didn't have time to do the business report, so I threw you under the bus and told the boss it was your job instead

3.  Physically throwing a person under a big, smelly city bus is the perfect metaphor for the act of positioning someone to be ground up under the wheels of the ever rolling omnibus of society in your stead. The bus carries people. The people's weight is what crushes the victim. This setting up of a patsy has an earlier, more agrarian beginning in "throwing him to the wolves." Someone is going down, it's not going to be you, so you select a candidate to feed into the system.
                    Every time the president gets in trouble, he'll throw another cabinet member under the bus.

4. You get thrown under the bus when someone (usually a co-worker) reports some wrongdoing or slacking off to a superior or other influential person. Sometimes used with the suffix "Vrooooom!" to simulate the noise the bus would make as it passes by at a high rate of speed                                                   "Dicky George, I can't believe you just threw me under the bus."


These are some very disturbing definitions and I was curious about the origination of the phrase. However, the online research brought up many different versions of how the phrase was coined, and most were within the last 20 years. They range from sports related, to something sung by Cyndi Lauper, to a radio station DJ. In each different case, the basis was that one person caused another person to be the scapegoat for something they did, or didn't do.
Whatever the reason, it's not a very nice thing to do!


I hope that I've not been guilty of throwing someone under the bus-even if unintentionally! 

Have you ever been Under the bus


13 comments:

  1. I'm a mom so that means I've been under that bus more than once. :)
    Blessings,
    Diana

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a word and phrase origin FANATIC. Very fun post! Thanks Barb :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome- thanks for stopping by! I'd never heard the phrase until the last few years.

      Delete
  3. I once thought I lived there - I'm a very naive person! Lol!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just recently I heard someone use this phrase! In person. Thankfully it was in a fun situation but it'd be bad if it weren't. I agree with you--it's not a nice one!!

    Interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is interesting and very disheartening to experience.

      Delete
  5. Ugh. I had a boss that used to do that all the time. Of course, when things went right you know who took credit for it! I do know the origin for scapegoat, though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a bummer! I also know about being the scapegoat as well as the origin of the term.

      Delete
  6. I've been under the bus more times than I want to think about. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet you probably encounter it a lot as a pastor's wife. :(

      Delete
  7. Not a great place to be, and definitely not nice. Fun post!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you!