Friday, January 3, 2014

X is for Xerxes




This weeks'  blog hop is sponsored by the letter "X"
Click on the link below to read more about the 
meme and join in on our blog hop 
 http://www.pattywysong.com/2013/07/a-to-z-meme.html







I love the Biblical book of Esther!                          
 I appreciate how a woman who was just a commoner became a hero for her people. Not only was she outwardly beautiful, she also followed God's lead with tact and common sense. To me, King Xerxes seemed to lack social skills, and wanted people to perform at his whim. He seemed to come off as arrogant. Esther became his queen and she used her skills and relationship with God to save the lives of the Jewish people. Eventually, as a result of Queen Esther's perseverance, Xerxes became an advocate for them and was honored throughout his land. However, It would be interesting to know how he actually treated Esther after the story we know of was completed. Was he kind to her? Did he love her more, or was she a mere servant for his pleasure?

We may never know, but I am curious! Are you?

10 comments:

  1. I like happy endings so I think he made Esther is only wife. :)
    blessings,
    Diana

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also love the book of Esther, and YES, I'm definitely curious! Have you ever read the historical/biblical fiction Jewel of Persia by Roseanna White? It touches on that (though Esther is NOT the main character, she is a relatively major one), and is an excellent book, if you like that kind of thing. I highly recommend it! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've not read that one, although I did read one by Chuck Swindoll that made the characters more real to me.

      Delete
  3. After doing Beth Moore's study on the book of Esther, I've come to love that book. There is sooooo much in it that I never saw (story of my life, LoL) and it's so good.

    Excellent X, Barb. Thanks for this reminder. Very well timed. =]
    Hugs!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So cool, too, that God is never even mentioned in the book, yet it's all about Him!

      Delete
  4. Excellent question, Barb. So many stories of Spiritually-fickle leaders in the Old Testament does make you wonder.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the book of Esther! My Bible study group also did it with Beth Moore. I learned so much from that study, but you pose an interesting question. I wonder what Beth Moore would say? Great post, Barbara. Happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I always wonder about alllllll those other women who weren't chosen. What a sad existence it must have been. Never to marry or have children of their own. I love the story of Esther. I think the king must have loved her very much for her to find such favor with him.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you!