Thursday, January 9, 2014

Y is for YIKES!



This weeks'  blog hop is sponsored by the letter "Y"
Click on the link below to read more about the 
meme and join in on our blog hop 
 http://www.pattywysong.com/2013/07/a-to-z-meme.html


Last February, my work computer crashed. I used a laptop and that's where I had all my reports, client assessments, and other on-going documentation. I had not recently backed them up. I had the hard copies, but spent many hours re-creating everything back into the computer. I learned my lesson and now back everything up as I go.

Well, at least I thought I learned my lesson, but in regards to my personal computer, I did not. On my laptop, I had a digital scrap booking program with a lot of expensive software. I also had a photo storage program with hundreds of photos. I've had a nudging in my brain to back up my more recent photos (Meaning from last April to the present) but I did not do it. I should have followed my gut feeling.

I began having problems with Facebook last weekend. I could not retrieve notifications, open videos or even load the chatbox. Reports to Facebook were ignored. So, on Monday, I thought that by "refreshing" my computer, I might fix what ails the thing.  It did resolve the issue on Facebook. I did not know that to refresh meant restore to original condition and that I would lose any programs uploaded since then. Gone was my Creative Memories programs, my anti-viral software, and my connection to the printer.

This is a new laptop, and my old one was still working with most of the photos in there, so when I get around to dealing with it, should be able to get the photos back.  Even if I re-download the software, it will be useless because the company that ran the software, Creative Memories, is now defunct, and no longer providing support.  I cannot re-activate and it would remained locked out for use.

It's time to get new photo-editing and storage programs. I need to research to see what other types of digital scrap booking are available. I was true to Creative Memories for the past 11 years or so.

Lesson re-learned. Back it up! Routinely back all of it up! Follow your instincts- don't procrastinate, or you will be sorry. I know I am.


8 comments:

  1. Don't you just love computer issues - NOT. I can commiserate with you. Great reminder to follow those promptings by the Holy Spirit. Praying you'll be able to recover everything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think most of the photos are still there, but the two programs are gone. :(

      Delete
  2. I use Carbonite to back up everything. It's worth every penny! I'd lost too many documents without out. One thing I've learned -- it's not IF your computer will crash but WHEN. Because they all do it. Sorry to hear about your loss! Another way to store pictures online is with Photobucket or Flikr. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Barb!! I'm so sorry. That HURTS!! I'm glad you can get most of your photos back, but the CM software... =[ Cheryl uses lightroom (adobe) for her edits and loves it. She did a ton of research before buying. I'm clueless about the digital scrapbooking though. I use Photoshop, but I'm not a scrapbooker.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been researching too, and decided on Photoshop Elements, but I will go look at Lightroom a bit more.

      Delete
  4. OH, Barb - SO sorry, sweetie! Praying you can figure it all out with minimal headaches AND loss.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you!